Demographics

Population (year 2000): 653
Males: 318 (48.7%)
Females: 335 (51.3%)
Elevation: 125 feet
County: Alachua
Land area: 1.0 square miles
Zip code: 32667
Median resident age: 43.0 years
Median household income: $27,778 (year 2000)
Median house value: $73,300 (year 2000)

Schools

Micanopy Area Cooperative School ~
K to 5th grade

Micanopy Middle School ~
6th to 9th grade

Downtown Micanopy

About Micanopy

The land first belonged to the indigenous people. Some of the Potanos, who numbered in the thousands, could have seen Hernando de Soto as he and his 1539 expeditionary force of men and horses trekked through Florida's hinterland. Subsequent warfare with the Spaniards and epidemic diseases contributed to the decline of the Potano population to a few hundred in the 1600s. English raiders in the early 1700s destroyed the Spanish missions in northern Florida and carried away most of the Potanos and other Timucuan tribesman to slavery in South Carolina.

By the mid 1700s, Creek Indians from Georgia, who were later called Seminoles, occupied the former Timucuan territory. In 1774, William Bartram visited the Seminole village Cuscowilla which was located near present day Micanopy. The town of Micanopy was founded in 1821. An early settler, Edward Wanton, with the help of his slaves and freed slaves, built a Trading Post. Wanton, working together with Moses Levy, established a viable town. The town of Micanopy has two items of note: it is the first inland town, i.e. not on a river, and it is the first United States town in Florida. As occasional skirmishes broke out between settlers and the Seminole Indians, Fort Defiance was built in Micanopy in the 1830s. It was evacuated and burned in 1836. Fort Micanopy was established in 1837, closed in 1843 and reopened off and on until 1856.

The town of Micanopy was incorporated in 1889. In 1881, Micanopy was described as a settlement of 600 people, with schools, churches, hotels, stores, a grist mill and a cotton mill.

Today, Micanopy's Historic District encompasses 38 buildings that are on the National Register of Historic Places. The Indian Mound is on the local Historic District and the State Master Site File. Any tour of the town's shops and historical sites begins at the Museum, housed in the Thrasher Warehouse on Cholokka Blvd.


View Larger Map

Visitors Information

Micanopy


View Larger Map

Cross Creek


View Larger Map

McIntosh


View Larger Map